7-Day Best of Northern Guangxi Tour
This tour showcases the best that Guangxi has to offer. Over 7 days, you will see some spectacular scenery- towering karst peaks, quaint minority villages, lush, green countryside, and expertly sculptured rice terraces, while interacting with 4 of China’s minority groups- the Dong, Miao, Yao and Zhuang.
Tour starts/finishes: Guilin
Fitness level required: Average-Moderate
Time of year available: Anytime
Time of year recommended: March-November
Day 1: Guilin-Chengyang Dong Village (L, D)
Meet your guide in Guilin in the morning. Travel to Sanjiang town, then onto Chengyang, a large Dong Village. Go on a walk up to a pagoda for great views over the surrounding Dong villages. Then continue on foot to the villages north of Chengyang to see the local drumtowers and wind and rain bridges, some of which are over one hundred years old. These amazing feats of architecture were made without any nails! Stay in Chengyang.
Day 2: Dong and Miao villages (B, L, D)
Drive for 1.5 hours then walk for one hour to arrive in Nudu. Nudu is home to the Cao Miao people who speak the Dong language but whose manners and customs maintain Mongolian characteristics. Walk for another half an hour to Qingye, an interesting village made up of a combination of Dong, Miao and Yao minorities. Hike a further hour down the mountain, then drive back to Chengyang for overnight.
Day 3: Chengyang-Dragon Backbone Rice Terraces (B, L, D)
Travel for 3-4 hours to the Dragon Backbone Rice Terraces. Enjoy several scenic viewpoints around Ping’an, a Zhuang minority village. Stay in a small guesthouse in Ping’an.
Day 4: Hiking through the Dragon Backbone Rice Terraces (B, L, D)
Take a 3-4 hour hike from Ping’an to Tiantouzhai Yao Village, the highest point in the Rice Terraces (elevation: 1200 metres). See the Yao minority women who are famous for their beautiful pink embroidered costumes, heavy silver earrings and ground-length hair. As the sun is setting, hike up to another viewpoint for great views over the terraces. Stay at the Beautiful Views Guesthouse in Tiantouzhai.
Day 5: Dragon Backbone Rice Terraces-Yangshuo (B, L, D)
Have a relaxing morning taking in the views. Then travel back to Guilin and onto Yangshuo. That night, enjoy dinner and shopping on famous West Street. Stay in Yangshuo.
Day 6: Li River sightseeing (L)
Today you have the option of a 4-5 hour hike along the Li River, through fruit orchards and small mud-brick villages, with the karst peaks all around. Or for a more leisurely option, bamboo rafting along the river is also available. Overnight in Yangshuo.
Day 7: Biking the Yulong River- Moon Hill (L)
Spend the day biking along the Yulong River, riding from Yangshuo to Yulong Bridge, then onto the mudbrick villages of Jiuxian and Chaoyang. Arrive at Moon Hill and take a 40 minute climb to the top of the natural archway for great views over the karst peak scenery. Tour concludes.
The following table shows the price per person for groups of varying sizes. The budget and comfortable options differ in terms of transportation and accommodation. Please see price inclusions below for details.
|2 people||3 people||4-5 people||6-7 people||8 + people
|Budget||4300 CNY||3450 CNY||3150 CNY||2750 CNY||2500 CNY||700 CNY|
|Comfortable||5000 CNY||4100 CNY||3750 CNY||3200 CNY||2950 CNY||900 CNY|
- Accommodation: All travellers spend 4 nights in simple guesthouse accommodation with private bathroom. In Yangshuo, the budget option includes a standard 3-star hotel room while the comfortable option includes a 3-star standard balcony room overlooking the Li River.
- Entrance tickets: Dragon Backbone Rice Terraces (80 CNY), Chengyang Dong Village (60 CNY), Li River Scenic Area (80 CNY) and Moon Hill (15 CNY).
- The following activities: Chengyang song and dance performance, bike hire in Yangshuo.
- All transportation: Budget- Transportation is by public buses for the majority of the time and occasional hired vans; Comfortable: Transportation is in a 7 seater minivan for groups of up to 4 people, an 11-14 seater Jinbei vehicle for groups of 5-7 people and a 15 seater vehicle for 8-10 people.
- Meals : 7 lunches, 5 dinners, 4 breakfasts as indicated on the itinerary. Lunches and dinners will be standard Chinese food including rice and a variety of meat and vegetable dishes. Breakfasts will be a combination of Chinese breakfast foods (noodles, steamed buns, eggs) and western food (pancakes, fried eggs) where available.
- Guide: An experienced English speaking tour guide
- Snacks, drinks and western food
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as phone calls, laundry or porters’ fees
- Rafting fees on Li River
- Surcharges will be charged for peak travelling times such as Chinese New Year, May Day (May 1st-7th) and National Day (October 1st-7th). For tours at these times please contact us for a customized quote.
- The prices quoted are to be used as a guide only. A final tour quote will be provided to you at the time of enquiry which may be higher or lower than the price listed.
Below are some images from previous tours in this area. Click to view larger images.
Our trip to Guangxi was the best trekking trip I have ever been on. Our guide Michael showed us an insight into village life that wouldn’t have been possible otherwise. The mountains were so peaceful, with photo opportunities in all directions and I was surprised at the high standard of accommodation in such rural locations- simple yet clean and friendly. The fresh meals in family homes after long treks through the rice fields were delicious. I will never forget my time in the remote villages of China, such a contrast to Beijing and the other giant cities of China.
I just wanted to thank the Backroads of China for the wonderful trip I had in S.W. China. My plan was to see and photograph the beautiful scenery around Yangshuo and the rice terraces, as well as experience the simple rural life of China. Thanks to Tania and her effort I was able to do exactly that. The itinerary that she put together was a perfect fit for me. Along with Michael’s knowledge and experience I had a trip that I will remember for a long time. The people and the landscape were amazing, what a beautiful area. Thanks again for all the personal attention.
Izumi Mochizuki writes…..
I just wanted to drop you a line to say “Thankyou!” As you can imagine we had a fabulous week that seems like one month worth. My boys enjoyed the trip as much as my husband and I did and thanked me for planning it. I thank you for helping us out in many ways. We truly enjoyed every moment of our trip and it was only possible because of you and Michael. Needless to say they loved the mud bath and the biking in mud! They also loved the homestay and enjoyed wandering around the village on their own. Michael told them that if they were to come again in the future he would make an arrangement for them to stay in homestay for several days in a village and let them experience farming! We truly enjoyed every moment of our trip and it was only possible because of you and Michael. Michael was a great guide. He is so patient and sincere, and the expert of the area. We really enjoyed his compay and we hope he felt the same about us.
The memories and excitement of this trip will stay with us for a long long time for sure! We will stay in touch…we hope we can do another trip with you in the near future while we are in China!
You are enquiring about the 7-Day Best of Northern Guangxi Tour. Please tell more about your travel plans and we’ll reply to you in the next 48 hours. If you are making a more general tour enquiry then please fill in our Contact Us form.