12-Day Guizhou Encompassed Tour
This sightseeing tour will allow you to enjoy the amazing landscapes and minority cultures of Guizhou province, without overstretching your muscles or testing your tolerance for village living. A good trip for those who are looking for a more relaxed, comfortable form of travelling the backroads.
Tour starts/finishes: Guiyang
Fitness level required: Average
Time of year available: Anytime
Time of year recommended: late Feb-May, mid-July-November
Day 1: Guiyang- Nachan Buyi Village-Xingyi (B, L, D)
Drive from Guiyang to Xingyi. On the way visit Nachan Buyi Village, the largest Buyi village in China (population: 867) which is famous for the “8 instrument” singing style. Then drive onto Xingyi for overnight.
Day 2: Around Xingyi (B, L, D)
Enjoy a morning visit to Maling River Canyon, with a length of 100km, this spectacular canyon boasts sheer cliff walls (200-400m tall), hanging rocks and numerous waterfalls. Take a hike through the gorge. In the afternoon visit the Ten Thousand Peak Forest. Take a cable car to the top of the hills for amazing views over the karst peak scenery. Overnight in Xingyi.
Day 3: Xingyi-Huangguoshu Waterfall-Tianxing Qiao (B, L, D)
Spend the morning driving from Xingyi to Anshun(3.5 hours). In the afternoon visit the Huangguoshu Waterfall, the largest in Asia followed by the Tianxing Qiao Scenic Spot. Overnight in Huangguoshu.
Day 4: Tianlong Tunbao-Qingyan-Guiyang (B, L, D)
Drive to Tianlong Tunbao Village where the women still dress in traditional Ming dynasty costumes, and houses remain faithful to the Ming architectural styles. Watch the Dixi opera on the stage in the town square. Visit Qingyan Ancient Town, an historical town dating back to the start of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). Then drive on for another hour to reach Shuitouzhai, a Buyi village amidst the bamboo groves on the banks of the Qinglong River. Overnight in Shuitouzhai village.
Day 5: Shuitouzhai and surrounds (B, L, D)
Spend a full day exploring the area around Shuitouzhai. Take a stroll along the Qinglong River, and visit the local brewing houses, tofu workshops and water mills. You also have the option of visiting the Nanjiang River Gorge for a hike or rafting trip. Overnight in Shuitouzhai village.
Day 6: Shuitouzhai-Kaili (B, L, D)
Travel from Shuitouzhai to Kaili alongside rice-paddies and cornfields. On the way visit the Gaozhai region, home to the Little Flower Miao group. The women here wear their jacket with expert batik pattern and small embroidered flowers. Overnight in Kaili.
Day 7: Kaili-Maliao-Xijiang (B, L, D)
Visit Nanhua, a well-preserved Long Skirt Miao Village built on the side of a mountain alongside the Bala River. Then stop at Maliao village to see a demonstration of silvermaking before driving on to Xijiang Thousand Family Village, the largest Miao village in China. Overnight in Xijiang.
Day 8: Xijiang-Rongjiang (B, L, D)
Today will be a long day of driving from Xijiang to Rongjiang. Along the way, enjoy spectacular high mountain and river views and visit Datang short skirt Miao village. Upon arrival in Rongjiang, visit Chejiang Dong villages, a well-preserved village with 1000 year old Banyan trees. Overnight in Rongjiang.
Day 9: Rongjiang-Zhaoxing (B, L, D)
Drive approx. 2 hours to Basha Miao village, noted for men’s hair dresses and the shining fabric of the women’s clothing made from egg-white. Visit Tang’an Dong Village, the first ecological museum of the Dong people. Arrive in Zhaoxing, the largest Dong village in Guizhou, in the late afternoon. Overnight in Zhaoxing.
Day 10: Zhaoxing-Rongjiang (B, L, D)
Drive from Zhaoxing back to Rongjiang. On the way, visit the old street of Liping and Dali Dong village, a cradle of the Dong culture which boasts many intricate “flower” bridges. Overnight in Rongjiang.
Day 11: Rongjiang-Sandu (B, L, D)
Visit the Rongjiang market to see the locals from surrounding villages buying/selling their wares. Then drive along the Duliu River from Rongjiang to Sandu, on the way visiting some Shui villages set amongst beautiful rice-terraced landscapes. This area is the only Shui minority area in China with 97% of locals being from this ethnic group. Overnight in Sandu.
Day 12: Sandu-Guiyang (B, L)
Drive approximately 5 hours back to Guiyang. On the way visit Shiqiao village to see a demonstration of traditional papermaking. Tour concludes.
The following table shows the price per person for groups of varying sizes. Please note that this trip is only offered at a comfortable level with private transportation for the duration of the tour and accommodation in 3 star hotels or the best available in the villages we stay. If you would like to reduce costs by staying in guesthouses rather than 3 star hotels, please contact us for a customized quote.
|2 people||3 people||4-5 people||6-7 people||8+ people
|Comfortable||10400 CNY||8150 CNY||6850 CNY||5500 CNY||5000 CNY||2000 CNY|
- Accommodation: 8 nights accommodation in 3 star hotels, 3 night’s accommodation in nice guesthouses (best available in village stays)
- Entrance tickets: Maling Gorge (80 CNY), Ten Thousand Peaks Forest (50 CNY), Huangguoshu Waterfall (90 CNY) , Tianxingqiao Scenic Area (60 CNY), Tianlong Tunbao Village (25 CNY), Qingyan Ancient Town (30 CNY), Kaili Minority Museum (10 CNY), Xijiang Thousand Family Village (100 CNY), Zhaoxing Dong Village (15 CNY), Zengchong Drumtower (30 CNY), Basha Miao Village (15 CNY)
- The following activities: Cart ride over Ten Thousand Peaks Forest, large-scale performance in Basha
- All transportation: Transportation is in a 5 seater sedan for groups of 2 people, an 11 seater Jinbei vehicle for groups of 3-7 people and a 15 seater vehicle for 8-10 people.
- Meals : 11 breakfasts, 12 lunches, 11 dinners as indicated on the itinerary. Lunches and dinners will be standard Chinese food including rice and a variety of meat and vegetable dishes. Breakfasts will be a combination of Chinese breakfast foods (noodles, steamed buns, eggs) and western breakfast foods (fried eggs, tea/coffee, toast) where available.
- Guide: An experienced English speaking tour guide
- Snacks, drinks and western food
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as phone calls, laundry or porters’ fees
- Surcharges will be charged for peak travelling times such as Chinese New Year, May Day (May 1st-7th) and National Day (October 1st-7th). For tours at these times please contact us for a customized quote.
- The prices quoted are to be used as a guide only. A final tour quote will be provided to you at the time of enquiry which may be higher or lower than the price listed above.
Below are some images from previous tours in this area. Click to view larger images.
You are enquiring about the 12-Day Guizhou Encompassed Tour. Please tell more about your travel plans and we’ll reply to you in the next 48 hours. If you are making a more general tour enquiry then please fill in our Contact Us form.