7-Day Highlights of Western Guizhou Tour
Western Guizhou has all of the ingredients for the perfect backroads trip. Landscape-wise, it boasts dramatic limestone scenery, stunning gorges and waterfalls and karst peaks to rival the Guilin area. Add to this the intriguing minority cultures of the Buyi and Miao people groups, and historical villages dating back to the Ming Dynasty, and you have 7 days full of great sights and great experiences.
Tour starts/finishes: Guiyang
Fitness level required: Average
Time of year available: late February-December
Time of year recommended: late February-May, late August-November
Day 1: Guiyang- Nachan Buyi Village-Xingyi (L, D)
Drive from Guiyang to Xingyi. On the way visit Nachan Buyi Village, the largest Buyi village in China which is famous for the “8 instrument” singing style. Then drive onto Xingyi for overnight at the Rongjia Binguan (3 star)
Day 2: Around Xingyi (B, L, D)
Enjoy a morning visit to Maling River Canyon. With a length of 100km, this spectacular canyon boasts sheer cliff walls (200-400m tall), hanging rocks and numerous waterfalls. Take a hike through the gorge. In the afternoon visit the Ten Thousand Peak Forest. Take a cable car to the top of the hills for amazing views over the karst peak scenery. Overnight at the Rongjia Binguan (3 star).
Day 3: Xingyi-Huangguoshu Waterfall-Tianxing Qiao (B, L, D)
Spend the morning driving from Xingyi to Anshun(3.5 hours). Then in the afternoon visit the Huangguoshu Waterfall, which is the largest in Asia, standing at 68 meters high and 81 meters wide with a flow of more than 700 cubic meters of water per second. Then visit the Tianxing Qiao Scenic Spot, located about 6km downstream from Huangguoshu. Overnight in Huangguoshu (3 star).
Day 4: Huangguoshu-Long Horn Miao- Liupanshui (B, L, D)
Drive from Huangguoshu up a windy, mountainous road to Longga Long Horn Miao Village. Visit this unique sub-group of the Miao minority who are skilful at wax printing and embroidery and wear unique headpieces and striking silver accessories during festival times. In the late afternoon, drive on to Liupanshui for overnight at the Yutian Hotel (3 star).
Day 5: Liupanshui-Nankai- Liupanshui (B, L, D)
Drive approximately 50km drive to Nankai, a small Flowery Miao village. These Miao wear a jacket with superb cross-stich geometrical patterning in yellows, oranges and greens. The women wear their hair piled high upon their head in a neat roll which takes a long time to arrange. It is also possible we may see Yi people in this area. Drive back to Liupanshui for overnight at the Yutian Hotel (3 star).
Day 6: Liupanshui- Tianlong Tunbao Village (B, L, D)
Drive approx. 5 hours from Liupanshui to Tianlong Tunbao Village where the women still dress in traditional Ming dynasty costumes, and houses remain faithful to the Ming architectural styles. Watch the Dixi opera on the stage in the town square. Walk up to the top of Tian Shan to visit the Wulong Temple. Overnight in Tianlong Tunbao village in simple guesthouse accommodation.
Day 7: Tianlong Tunbao Village-Qingyan Ancient Town-Guiyang (B, L)
Drive from Tianlong Tunbao Village back to Guiyang. On the way, stop in Qingyan Ancient Town, an historical stone town dating back to the beginning of the Ming Dynasty. Arrive in Guiyang in the early afternoon. Tour concludes.
The following table shows the price per person for groups of varying sizes. This trip is only offered at a ‘comfortable level’ with private transportation for the duration of the tour, and accommodation in 3 star hotels or the best available in the villages we stay.
|2 people||3 people||4-5 people||6-7 people||8+ people
|Comfortable||6600 CNY||5100 CNY||4300 CNY||3900 CNY||3300 CNY||1200 CNY|
- Accommodation: 5 nights accommodation in 3 star hotels, 1 night’s accommodation in a small guesthouse in Tianlong Tunbao Village.
- Entrance tickets: Maling Gorge (80 CNY), Ten Thousand Peaks Forest (50 CNY), Huangguoshu Waterfall (90 CNY) , Tianxingqiao Scenic Area (60 CNY), Tianlong Tunbao Village (25 CNY), Qingyan Ancient Town (30 CNY), Suoga Ecological Museum
- The following activities: Cart ride over Ten Thousand Peaks Forest
- All transportation: Transportation is in a 5 seater sedan for groups of 1-2 people, an 11 seater Jinbei vehicle for groups of 3-7 people and a 15 seater vehicle for 8-10 people.
- Meals : 6 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 6 dinners as indicated on the itinerary. Lunches and dinners will be standard Chinese food including rice and a variety of meat and vegetable dishes. Breakfasts will be Chinese breakfast foods such as noodles, steamed buns, eggs etc.
- Guide: An experienced English speaking tour guide
- Snacks, drinks and western food
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as phone calls and laundry fees
- Surcharges will be charged for peak travelling times such as Chinese New Year, May Day (May 1st-7th) and National Day (October 1st-7th). For tours at these times please contact us for a customized quote.
- The prices quoted are to be used as a guide only. A final tour quote will be provided to you at the time of enquiry which may be higher or lower than the price listed above.
Below are some images from previous tours in this area. Click to view larger images.
You are enquiring about the 7-Day Highlights of Western Guizhou Tour. Please tell more about your travel plans and we’ll reply to you in the next 48 hours. If you are making a more general tour enquiry then please fill in our Contact Us form.