7-Day Haba Snow Mountain Trek
This tour is for the experienced alpine traveller who sees a mountain and can’t rest until he has climbed it! Starting with a 2 day trek through Tiger Leaping Gorge as a “warm up”, you will then start your trek up Haba Snow Mountain (5396m). With paranoramic views of snow mountains all around you and the Tiger Leaping Gorge thousands of metres below, you will feel on top of the world!
Tour starts/finishes: Lijiang
Fitness required: Excellent
Time of year available: January-June, October-December
Recommended season: May-June (for wildflowers), October
Day 1: Lijiang- Qiaotou-Teahorse Trade Guesthouse (L, D)
Drive to Qiaotou, the gateway to Tiger Leaping Gorge. stopping on the way in Xionggu for a great view of Haba Mountain and Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. Hike for two hours uphill to reach the Naxi Family Guesthouse where you will stop for lunch. Then hike for a further 3-4 hours to Teahorse Trade Guesthouse, first braving 900 metre ascent through the ’28 Bends’ then enjoying the panaroma of Yulong Snow Mountains from the summit.
Day 2: Teahorse Trade Guesthouse-Walnut Grove- Haba village (B, L, D)
Continue hiking in Tiger Leaping Gorge passing some beautiful cascades on route to the Middle Gorge (3 hours). Have lunch at Tina’s, overlooking the Middle Rapids of the Jinsha River, then brave the 2 hour return journey to the Tiger Leaping Stone. Take a van to Haba village, a multi ethnic village comprising of Naxi, Hui and Yi ethnic minority people. Overnight in Haba in a simple guesthouse.
Day 3: Haba village-Yak Meadow- Base Camp (B, L, D)
Today we will embark on a beautiful, but demanding hike from Haba Village (2600m) to base camp (4100m). The trek is approx 15km and will take around 6-8 hours. We will pass by yak pastures and azalea forests and enjoy a picnic lunch on the way . We will reach the base camp in the afternoon.
Day 4: Base Camp-Yellow and Black Lake –Base Camp (B, L, D)
Enjoy the sunrise over Haba Mountain. Spend the morning doing a circular route of approx. 3-4 hours visiting the nearby lakes: Yellow Lake and Black Lake. In the afternoon, have a rest at Base camp to help acclimatise to the altitude. Overnight at the Base Camp.
Day 5: Base Camp-Top of Haba-Base Camp (B, L, D)
Set out in the early morning (4:00am) for the 4km (5 hour) hike to the top of Haba Snow Mountain (5396m), passing over two snowy slopes before reaching the top. It is not a technical trek but reqires a lot of energy as the altitude is high and the slopes are long. From the top you will get spectacular views of the Tiger Leaping Gorge 3500 vertical metres below!!! Descend for 3 hours down to the Base Camp for overnight stay.
Day 6: Base Camp-Haba-Daju (B, L, D)
If successful on Day 5, we will trek for 3 hours back to Haba Village. Take a van to the Jinsha River Ferry Terminal and cross the river to Daju Nakhi village. Overnight at the Daju Inn.
Day 7: Daju-Lijiang (B, L)
Be picked up by a driver for the 3 hour drive back to Lijiang. Tour concludes.
Note: If the weather does not permit us to climb Haba Mountain on Day 5, we will make a second attempt on Day 6, then descend to Haba Village on Day 7 and be picked up by a driver for the 4 hour drive back to Lijiang.
The following table shows the price per person for groups of varying sizes. The budget and comfortable options differ in terms of transportation. Please see price inclusions below for details.
|2 people||3 people||4-5 people||6-7 people||8 + people
|Budget||5250 CNY||4150 CNY||3800 CNY||3350 CNY||3000 CNY||400 CNY|
|Comfortable||5750 CNY||4450 CNY||4000 CNY||3700 CNY||3400 CNY||400 CNY|
- Accommodation: All travellers spend 3 nights in simple guesthouse accommodation (private bathrooms) and 3 nights at Haba Snow Mountain base camp hut
- Entrance tickets: Tiger Leaping Gorge (50 CNY), Tiger Leaping Stone, (10 CNY), Haba Snow Mountain (30 CNY), Jade Dragon Snow Mountain Scenic Area (105 CNY), Lijiang Ancient Town Protection Fee (80 RMB)
- All transportation: Budget- Transportation is by public buses for Days 1 and 7 and hired vans for other transfers; Comfortable- Transportation for Days 1 and 7 is in a 2WD or Ruifeng business vehicle. For short distance transfers, local vans are used.
- Equipment: Ice axe and crampon hire
- Meals : 6 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 6 dinners as indicated on the itinerary. In the Tiger Leaping Gorge and Haba village, breakfasts will be mixture of Chinese breakfast foods (boiled eggs, noodles, steamed buns) and western breakfast foods (pancakes, fried eggs) where available. Lunches and dinners will be standard Chinese food including rice and a variety of meat and vegetable dishes. During the stay at Haba Base Camp, the meals will be simpler, with only noodles available for breakfast and some meat, vegetables and rice for lunches and dinners.
- Guide: An experienced English speaking tour guide and a local mountain guide(s) for the ascent to the summit. We will provide one local guide for every four trekkers.
- Horse hire: Horses will be available to carry luggage to/from Haba Base Camp on Days 3 and 6.
- Snacks, drinks and western food
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses
- Surcharges will be charged for peak travelling times such as Chinese New Year, May Day (May 1st-7th) and National Day (October 1st-7th). For tours at these times please contact us for a customized quote.
- The prices quoted are to be used as a guide only. A final tour quote will be provided to you at the time of enquiry which may be higher or lower than the price listed above.
Below are some images from previous tours in this area. Click to view larger images.
You are enquiring about the 7-Day Haba Snow Mountain Trek. Please tell more about your travel plans and we’ll reply to you in the next 48 hours. If you are making a more general tour enquiry then please fill in our Contact Us form.